Monday, August 16, 2010

Illegal Immigration Is Making America A Police State

(Originally published in March 2010)

Both Republicans and Democrats have failed to take any meaningful steps in the battle against illegal immigration.

And the few who have tried to take steps against the influx of illegal aliens, such as Hazleton Pennsylvania mayor Lou Barletta, find their city ordinances being challenged in federal court, with little to no support from the government, in fact the feds are usually the ones issuing the challenge.

So what have our brain-dead members of Congress come up with now?

Democrat Senator Charles Schumer and Republican Lindsey Graham are behind a bill that will require all American workers to carry a biometric identification card.

I guess I had better win the lottery pretty soon, because I will be damned if I will allow the government to fingerprint me as if I were a common criminal.

Taking the fingerprints of someone who is joining the armed forces, or is working for the government in a security-sensitive position is one thing, but you mean to tell me that the best idea Congress can come up with to fight illegal immigration is scan the fingerprints of a teenager applying for a job at Burger King?

To showcase just how ludicrous this idea is, you need look no further than the fact that, on this issue, the ACLU and I are in agreement.

“It is fundamentally a massive invasion of people’s privacy,” said Chris Calabrese, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union.
“We’re not only talking about fingerprinting every American, treating ordinary Americans like criminals in order to work.
“We’re also talking about a card that would quickly spread from work to voting to travel to pretty much every aspect of American life that requires identification.”

Calabrese makes some excellent points, and I for one will go on record right now as saying that I won’t stand for it.

And I have a feeling that I’m far from being the only one who feels that way.